Thursday 21 February 2013

Changing the printer cartridge


Judy's old multifunction HP PSC2410 ran out of colour ink. The printer used the HP 57 tri-colour inkjet print cartridge. The status showed that the one of the colour reservoir's in the tricolour cartridge was empty which meant junking the whole tricolour cartridge. I went to the local cut price cartridge replacement shop thinking a $10 refill and was horrified when they wanted $55 for a new tricolour cartridge. 


With the new multifunction WiFi printers their price is not much more than a colour replacement tricolour cartridge I suggested that she should look for a replacement printer with individual colour cartridges so when a colour runs out she'll only  need to replace one cartridge and perhaps buy backups cartridges for the others colours rather than junk the whole printer. 

She spoke to her "seriously into photography" friend who suggested she buy another HP but this one with all the bells and whistles, that produces high quality colour photos. This she duly did, and the new still in the box printer was waiting for me when I was called to do the swap over.

Judy had two computer's and both needed the printer installed. I sat with her on one of her computers and installed the new printer drivers using the installation disc. The installation was a breeze, the network configured to handle the new WiFi device and the test print generated to the newly installed printer and subsequent scan a marvel of technology. I showed her some of the new facilities we printed some 6"x4" photo quality prints and we was very satisfied with the results. The old printer driver was removed and I had to repeat the process on the portable.

The second computer was a notebook and it had an integrated DVD disc drive but it obviously wasn't working.

I did the only thing I knew, reset the notebook but it didn't help. I restarted the device to check the BIOS, the %$%# DVD disc drive wasn't even recognised. What made matters worse the OS wouldn't now boot! 

I had another appointment and had to leave, but created another time to fix the notebook. 

I returned to Judy's place the machine was up and running which goes to show that the customers are sometimes a lot smarter than the technicians. What I hadn't done was to turn off the power and reset the machine. (I think I will be called to fix the notebook at a future date because I think it's on its way out.) Anyway I installed the new printer drivers using the installation disc in the "faulty" DVD disc drive. The installation was a breeze, the test print generated to the newly installed printer and subsequent scan perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment